Twizel is a huge playground where you have access to:
- Alps 2 Ocean bike trail From Aoraki Mt Cook, the highest mountain in New Zealand, the trail descends over 2000 feet and travels 300km to the coastal town of Oamaru. It is the longest continuous ride in NZ and takes in some of the most incredible scenery in the country.
- Aoraki National Park – World Heritage
- International Dark Sky Reserve
- Mt John Observatory and star gazing
- Hot springs pools, spa and skating
- Glacial lakes – cruising or kayaking
- Church of the Good Shepherd
- Heli-biking, heli-skiing and 4WD touring
- Lord of the Rings Pelennor Fields
- Sky diving and gliding
- Southern lights, hydromachinery display, salmon farms
- Rowing regattas
- Salmon and trout fishing
- Boating and water skiing
- Mountain biking
- Skiing and snowboarding
- Scenic and glacier snow landing flights
- Walking and hiking
- Climbing wall
- Hot tubs
If you’re new to the Mackenzie Twizel experience, here is a bit of history:
Built in the late 1960’s, early 70’s to house the workers for the Upper Waitaki Power Scheme, it was to be a temporary housing village but in 1984 the village was gifted to the Mackenzie District Council by the government.Since then Twizel has evolved into the bustling tourist retreat it is today.
Twizel is a major accommodation hub on the Alps to Ocean cycleway.
Easy access to the Twizel Loop walkway, bike track and river.
Within the area are Lakes Ruataniwha, Benmore, Ohau, Pukaki for all your water activities.
Excellent fishing is available both in the canals and the numerous rivers and ponds that sport Salmon, Rainbow and Brown Trout.
Within travelling distance are the 3 major skifields – 0hau, Round Hill and Dobson where skiing and snowboarding can be enjoyed.
Twizel is truly an awesome playground for everyone both in Winter and Summer.
Rosedale Cottages can be enjoyed all year round:
come stay at Rosedale Cottages,
your RnR away from home!!
Visit www.twizel.info for more information on activities and attractions in the region.